Godhumai Halwa | Samba Wheat Halwa | Diwali Sweets
Godhumai Halwa (Samba Wheat Halwa) is a very popular halwa variety from Tirunelveli district. Milk from the soaked samba wheat is extracted and that wheat milk is concocted with sugar and ghee to get ghee-dripping, soft and yummy halwa!
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
Soaking Time3 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 500 gms
Heavy Bottomed Pan
- 1 Cup Samba Wheat 1 Cup - 250ml. Generally whole wheat is used. In this recipe, I have used broken wheat
- 3 Cups Sugar If you need less sugar, you could add 2 3/4 Cup instead of full 3 cups. Also authentic Tirunelveli halwa uses 1.5 Cups Palm jaggery and 1.5 cups sugar
- 1½ Cups Ghee We may need like 1½ cups to 2 Cups depending upon how the halwa is absorbing the ghee
- ½ tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tbsp Cashews
Extracting Wheat Milk
Drain the water from soaked samba wheat and grind it in a mixer by adding 1 cup of water
Squeeze and Strain the milk through the Sieve
Again add 1 cup of water and grind the wheat husk in mixer and get the remaining milk from the wheat
Strain the milk in a Sieve to extract all milk. Keep it aside for atleast 2 hours. The thick milk will settle in the bottom.
Cooking Wheat milk & Sugar
Take the strained wheat milk in a pan. Add cardamom powder and sugar and stir well. Keep stirring till the mixture starts to thicken
Keep stirring for atleast 45 minutes and in this period, we need to add the ghee ladle by ladle in regular intervals until the ghee is fully absorbed
When the halwa comes to ball like consistency without sticking on the sides of the pan, we can switch off the flame and take the halwa in a bowl. The halwa mixture should turn glossy and transparent. We keep stirring till a point is reached when the ghee starts to oozes out of the halwa mixture. Immediately switch off the flame.
If we like to make pieces, then we can grease a plate and add the halwa and allow it to cool off. Then we can cut it to diamond shaped pieces and serve them
Mouth-Watering Godhumai Halwa ready! Serve hot and enjoy the rich taste of wheat halwa!
- We need to use either whole wheat overnight or we can use broken samba wheat and soak for 3 hours atleast.
- I have used regular sugar, we can use 1.5 cups regular sugar and 0.5 cups palm sugar or jaggery+palm sugar
Serving: 100g | Calories: 530kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 34g