Vendakkai Puli Kootu | Ladies Finger Tamarind Kootu Recipe
Vendakkai Puli Kootu, a traditional kootu made with ladies finger, tamarind and mild spices. This kootu is a perfect accompaniment for any Rasam or Thogayal varieties.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 people
Heavy Bottomed Pan
- 200 gms Vendakkai (Ladies' fingers) Chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 Gooseberry Size Tamarind
- 2 tbsp Toor Dal (Pigeon pea)
- 1 tbsp Sambar Powder
- 1 tsp Salt Adjust As Needed
- 3 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Split Bengal Gram (Channa Dal / Kadalaparuppu)
- a Pinch Asafoetida (Asafetida / Hing)
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut
- Few Curry leaves
Preparing Tamarind Extract
Cooking Puli Kootu
Heat a pan. Add tamarind juice to the pan along with salt and sambar powder. Boil the tamarind juice for about 5 mins to get rid off its raw smell
After 5 mins, add the cooked ladies' finger to the tamarind juice. Allow the kootu to boil for about 2 mins
Now, add the cooked mashed dal to the kootu and give a mix. Bring it to boil and switch off the flame
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to sputter. then add bengal gram and fry till light brown. Then add the grated coconut and fry till its golden brown. Finally add curry leaves and give a mix.
Pour this tempering to the kootu.
- We can mix a teaspoon of rice flour with a tablespoon of water and add it to the kootu to make its consistency thicker.
- We can add 1/2 teaspoon of grated jaggery to enhance the taste.
Serving: 0.5Cup | Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g