Vendaya Keerai Kara Kuzhambu | Methi Leaves Kara Kuzhambu
Vendhaya Keerai (Methi Leaves), a nutrition rich greens to be included in our diet regularly. We can make variety of recipes with Methi leaves, one such is this Vendaya Keerai Kara Kuzhambu. This kuzhambu is spicy and tangy, with rich flavor of methi leaves. Serve with hot steaming rice along with a teaspoon of sesame oil. This also goes very well as an accompaniment to Pongal / Idli / Dosa
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 people
Heavy Bottomed Pan
- 1 Lemon Size Tamarind or 2 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 10 Shallots / Baby Onions Peeled, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves Chopped
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 2 Cups Methi Leaves Cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Sambar Powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt Adjust As Needed
- 2 tbsp Coconut
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- Few Curry leaves
Remove the root of the methi plant. Clean the Methi Leaves in the water to get rid of the sand/mud from the leaves. After it's cleaned roughly chop the methi leaves
Peel the Shallots (small onion) and chop them roughly. Also peel the garlic and keep it ready
Roughly chop the Tomatoes and keep it ready
Add the garlic cloes and curry leaves and saute for few seconds
Further add chopped shallots and saute onions till translucent.
Add chopped tomato and give a mix. Cook tomato till tomato is soft
When the toamtos are cooked, add chopped fenugreek leaves to the pan and saute for 3-4 minute. The leaves will get cooked and the quantity of the greens gets reduced.
Add tamarind juice along with salt and sambar powder and give a mix.
Let the tamarind juice boils in low flame for about 10 mins to get rid off the raw smell of the tamarind
Finally add coconut paste and give a mix. Cook for another 5 mins in the medium flame. The oil will start ozzing out. Switch off the flame
Serve the delicious Vendaya Keera Kara Kuzhambu with hot steaming rice along with a teaspoon of sesame oil and enjoy this delicious Kara Kuzhambu.
- Add a teaspoon of jaggery finally to enhance the flavor
- The shelf life of the kuzhambu would be 2-3 days. Refrigerate and use.
- You can skip the coconut paste. Instead you can mix 1 tbsp of rice flour in 3 tbsp of water and add to the kuzhambu
- Instead of Sambar Powder, you can also add Red Chili Powder & Coriander Powder
Serving: 0.25Cup | Calories: 42kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g