Peas Pulao (Matar Pulao)
Peas Pulao is a simple rice variety made using Basmati rice and Green Peas. We can cook this in a pressure cooker, microwave, rice cooker or directly in a Tawa.
Servings: 4 people
- 1.5 cup Basmati Rice 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Onion Thinly sliced (Vertically)
- 2 Green Chili Chopped
- 1.5 cups Green Peas
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1.5 tsp Salt Adjust to your Taste
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tbsp Ghee / Oil
Rinse the basmati rice atleast 2 to 3 times to remove the starch. Soak the rice in water for atleast 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, drain the water and set it aside
Heat some oil/ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.When the ghee/oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and allow to sputter. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and fry for about 30 seconds.
Then add chopped green chilli and sliced onions
Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the onion turn translucent
Now, add green peas and mix well. Add water and bring it to boil.
When the water starts to boil, add drained rice and stir well. add salt and mix well.
You can transfer this mixture to a rice cooker and cook it till the mode changes to warm as shown in the video. You also can cook on the pan itself. Just keep in high flame bring the rice+water to boil and then keep the flame to low and cover the pan with a lid and allow the rice to cook till they are cooked well but should be fluffy. This process may take approximately 20 minutes. Just mix the rice gently after 10 minutes but do not mash it. You can also cook this in pressure cooker. Allow 1 whistle and then keep the flame low and cook for 10 minutes. Most of us have rice cooker, so that is is best option to get a perfect fluffy rice!
Serve the delicious Peas Pulao with Raitha and dal and enjoy the dish!
- Always rinse the rice atleast 2 to 3 times to get rid of the starch in the rice and water becomes clear.
- We cook the rice in a pressure cooker, rice cooker, microwave or direcly in a pan covered with lid.
- Different kinds of rice needs different amount of water. The age of rice, brands determine the amount of water. If the rice is old, it needs more water as the new rice always has more moisture. If we need to cook more quantity of rice, then the ratio of rice : water (1:2) should be reduced.
- To get fluffy and puffy rice, we can add 1 teaspoon of oil to the boiling water or we can roast the rice a little and then we can cook
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 2mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 10mg