Coconut Chutney | Thengai Chutney
Coconut chutney is a very common chutney most of us make on a day to day basis. Other than Tempering, this chutney doesn't need any cooking. So easy and quick to make and also a great accompaniment for variety of South Indian food like Idli / Dosa / Upma / Bajji / Bonda etc.
Prep Time2 minutes mins
Cook Time10 minutes mins
Total Time12 minutes mins
Course: Chutney, Side Dish
Cuisine: Indian, South Indian, Tamilnadu
Servings: 4 people
Author: Sowmya Venkatachalam
- 1 Cup Grated Coconut
- 2 tbsp Roasted Gram Dal (Pottukadalai / Dhaliya)
- 3 Green Chili
- Salt As Needed
- 1/8 tsp Tamarind Paste* * We can use pinch of tamarind instead of paste
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tsp Split Urad Dal
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 Red Chili
Take Grated Coconut, Green Chili, Salt, Tamarind Paste, Roasted Gram in a mixer jar and grind everything to a smooth paste
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to sputter.
Add Split Urad Dal and fry till dal turns light brown. Then Add curry leaves and broken red chili. Switch off the flame
Add this tempering to the Coconut Chutney
Simple, Quick and tasty Coconut Chutney is ready to serve!
- Instead of Green Chili, we can add red chili while grinding.
- If we add mint and coriander leaves to this chutney, we will get yummy Coriander-Mint Chutney
- You can add roasted peanuts instead of roasted gram dal. You can also substitute it with cashews.
- Add some ginger and grind curry leaves along instead of tempering to take the flavor to the next level
Serving: 1tbsp | Calories: 30kcal | Carbohydrates: 2.5g | Protein: 0.6g | Fat: 2.2g | Fiber: 0.8g | Sugar: 0.9g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 33.8mg | Iron: 0.4mg