Aval Puttu | Poha Puttu | Gokulashtami Recipes
Aval is one of the favorite food for Lord Krishna. Aval Puttu is one of the simple sweet that we can make for an offering to Lord Krishna. Aval Puttu is made using Aval (Poha), Jaggery and grated coconut and seasoned with cashews.
Servings: 4 People
Heavy Bottomed Pan
- 1 Cup Aval / Poha / Flattened Rice Use Thick white or Red Poha. 1 Cup - 250ml
- 1 Cup Grated Jaggery
- ½ Cup Grated Coconut We can reduce the quantity of coconut. We can just use 1/4 cup if we prefer.
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- a Pinch Cardamom Powder
- 1 tbsp Cashews
Preparing Poha for Puttu
First step for making this puttu is grinding the Aval to a coarse powder. The powder should be like sooji. Take the Aval in a mixer jar and grind it to coarse powder. Take this coarse powder in a mixing bowl
Sprinkle water little by little and mix the poha. We should not add more water. Just sprinkle and crumble the coarse poha powder. The poha powder should be wet but at the same time should be in crumbled form. If we add more water, the poha powder will be so damp and puttu ends up like upma instead of crumbled soft puttu.
Cover the puttu with a lid and let it aside for 10 mins. Then again take out the lid and sprinkle water and crumble the aval powder gently and again cover & set aside for 10 mins
Repeat if for one more time and you can see the aval powder has become soft and increased in quantity too. Now our Aval (Poha) is ready for making Puttu
Preparing Jaggery Syrup
Take Jaggery in a vessel. Add 1/2 cup of water and allow the jaggery to dissolve completely
Once the jaggery is dissolved, Strain the jaggery juice in a heavy bottomed pan.
Bring the jaggery to boil and cook the jaggery till it becomes thick. We can check the consistency by dropping a small drop of jaggery syrup in a bowl of water. If the drop of jaggery doesn't dissolve in water and if you are able to pick up that drop, then the jaggery syrup has reached its right consistency
Now, add the grated coconut and poha and give a gently mix. Add Ghee and Keep the flame in low and let the puttu crumble for 2 mins
Heat ghee in a pan. Fry the cashews in ghee till it becomes golden brown. Take this aside
Finally add cardamom powder and ghee-roasted cashews and add it to the Aval puttu.
The delicious Aval Puttu is ready for offering to Lord Krishna and for serving
- Do not add more water and make the poha powder like a thick dough. Just sprinkle water. If you take a hand full of poha powder and hold together you should be able to make a ball but if you drop it should crumble. That is the right consistency.
- If the jaggery syrup becomes too thick and becomes more of stone or hard consistency, do not panic, just sprinkle little water that will dilute the syrup again and we can cook till correct consistency
- If you add the poha before the jaggery syrup reaches the consistency, do not panic, just keep the flame low and let the putt crumble on its own in low flame
- The color of the puttu depends upon on the color of jaggery. If the jaggery is very pale then the puttu will be in pale color. But if we use "Paagu Vellam" then the puttu will be in brown color.
Serving: 1Cup | Calories: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g