Milagai Bajji Recipe | Chilli Bajji Recipe | Mirchi Bajji Recipe | Stuffed Chilli Bajji Recipe
Milagai Bajji ( Chilli / Mirchi Bajji) is one of the popular tea time snack in many parts of Southern India especially in Tamilnadu. Most of the office pantries, road side shops, tea stalls, and almost all restaurants serve this crispy and spicy Milagai Bajji. It is a perfect tea time chaat / snack.
Servings: 3 people
Heavy Bottomed Pan
- 6 nos Bajji Milagaai / Bajji Chilli
- 1 Cup Gram Flour 1 Cup - 250ml
- ½ Cup Rice Flour
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Eno Fruit Salt We can replace with baking salt
- a Pinch Asafoetida (Asafetida / Hing)
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Onion Finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- ¼ tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups Oil For Deep Frying
In a mixing bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, salt, eno fruit salt(optional) and hing and mix well. Add water little by little and make it to a thick batter like idli batter
Wash and dry the bajji chilli with a towel. Slit the chilli length wise and remove the seeds from the green chillies. Optional – We can stuff the finely chopped onion inside the Chilli to enhance the taste of the bajji. But this step is optional. If you like having the stuffing inside the chilli, then follow this step. Otherwise, skip this step. Mix the chopped onions, coriander leaves and lemon juice and mix well.
Deep Frying Process
Optional – Stuff each slit green chillies with onion-coriander leaves and keep it aside. Heat oil in a pan, When the oil is hot enough, take one stuffed chilli and dip it in the bajji batter and coat it nicely and then gently drop it in the hot oil.
Fry the bajji in medium flame till it becomes golden brown and becomes crispy too. Remove the fried bajji and place it in paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat the step for the rest of the stuffed chillies.
Serve the crispy and spicy Milagai Bajji / Mirchi Bajji / Chilli Bajji with hot coffee / tea and enjoy the wonderful evening
- Stuffing is optional. We can just dip the chili in the batter and deep fry and make Chili Bajji
- Adjust the quantity of the red chili powder according to the spice of the chili. Mine was very mild so I used 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Adding Eno salt or baking soda is optional.
Serving: 1Bajji | Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g