Theeyal | Ulli Theeyal | Kerala style Onion Gravy
Ulli Theeyal is a popular kuzhambu (gravy) made using shallots (pearl onion / Ulli) and fried ground coconut masala. Theeyal has a very nice flavor of roasted coconut and tanginess from tamarind. It goes well with rice as well as an accompaniment.
Servings: 4 people
Heavy Bottomed Pan
- 15-20 nos Shallots / Baby Onions peeled
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 Goosberry Size Tamarind (or) 1 Tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 1.5 tsp Salt (adjust to your taste)
For Theeyal Masala
- 0.5 cup Grated Coconut 1 cup = 250 ml
- 8 nos Red Chili Adjust to your spice level
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 2 tsp Whole Urad Dal
- 0.5 tsp Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil (coconut oil preferably)
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- few Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
ROASTING GRINDING INGREDIENTS
Pour the oil in the pan and fry the red chillies, coriander seeds, urdhal, and pepper. Take this in a mixer. Add grated coconut to the pan and fry till it turns golden red color.
Now add the tamarind extract and salt and let the mixture boils for sometime. Finally add the ground paste
Stir well and let the theeyal boil in medium low flame for another 10 minutes. Remove theeyal off the flame.
Serve this yummy Ulli Theeyal Kuzhambu with hot steaming rice along with any stir-fried vegetable.
- Kuzhambu tends to thicken as it rests, so adjust the qty of water accordingly.
- Instead of Shallots you can also add Bittergourd
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 101kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Fiber: 3g