Beetroot Thuvaran | Beetroot Thoran
Beetroot Thoran is a stir-fry, seasoned with coconut, curry leaves and mustard seeds. This simple stir-fy is a great accompaniment to Sambar / any Kuzhambu varities and also Roti.
Servings: 4 people
Heavy Bottomed Pan
- 250 grams Beetroot (or) 3-4 numbers
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Salt adjust to your taste
- 3 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1 nos Green Chili adjust to your taste
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oil preferably coconut oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split Urad Dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
Wash the beetroots in water and then pat it dry, peel the skin and grate all the beetroots
Take a pan, add oil and when the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add split urid dal and fry till it becomes golden brown color.
Add curry leaves and add the grated beetroot. Keep the flame medium
Add turmeric and salt and mix well and cover it with a lid. We dont need to add water as the grated beetroot would cook easily in steam. Open the lid occasionally, and mix it well.
Meanwhile, grind the grinding ingredients (Grated Coconut, Cumin seeds and Green Chili) to a nice powder without water and keep it ready
When the beetroot are cooked nicely, add the ground coconut powder, mix well and remove from flame.
The mouth-watering Beetroot Thuvaran (Beetroot poriyal) is ready to serve with any rice dishes. Even we can mix plain rice with beetroot poriyal along with a teaspoon of ghee and the taste is divine.
- If you find it difficult to grate the beetroot, then you can also chop them to smaller pieces and use it.
- I found many people adding garlic along with coconut while grinding. If you are a fan of garlic, then you can add 1-2 garlic cloves and grind it with coconut
- You can also add a tsp of roasted gram dal along with coconut and grind it.
- Chopped Onion / shallots can also be added to the thoran. Sauté the onion before adding grated beetroot.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 137kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1218mg | Potassium: 260mg | Fiber: 4g