Pottukadalai Chutney without Coconut | Roasted Gram Dal Chutney
Pottukadalai Chutney is one of the easy and quick chutney made with roasted gram dal but can be made without adding coconut. This goes very well with Idli, Dosa and even snacks items like Vada, Soda and Bajji.
Servings: 4 people
1 Mixer Grinder
1 Heavy Bottomed Pan
- ½ cup Roasted Gram Dal (Pottukadalai / Dhaliya)
- 2 nos Garlic cloves optional
- 1 pinch Tamarind small gooseberry size
- 4 nos Kashmiri Red Chili or 1 Red Chili
- ½ tsp Salt adjust to your taste
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Split Urad Dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
Take all the grinding ingredients (roasted gram dal, garlic cloves, pinch of tamarind, red chili and salt) in the mixer
Without adding water grind the ingredients to powder
Now open the mixer and add ½ cup of water. Grind the mixture to a smooth paste.
Take the ground chutney in a bowl. Adjust the required consistency of the chutney by adding more water and mix well using spoon.
Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and allow it to sputter. Then add split urad dal and few curry leaves. Give a good mix. Switch off the flame.
Add this tempering to the chutney and stir well.
Relish this delicious Pottukadalai chutney with Idli/Dosa!
- Adding Coconut – In this recipe I didn’t add coconut. If you like coconut flavor, then you can add 1 or 2 tbsp of coconut while grinding
- Ginger, Garlic and Onion – You can add all these based on your liking. For no-onion/no garlic version, you can skip all of these and just add asafoetida while tempering.
- Green Chili – Instead of Red Chili you can add Green chili which gives nice flavor and taste.
- Consistency – Adjust the chutney consistency by adding Water to your liking.
Serving: 1tbsp | Calories: 30kcal | Carbohydrates: 2.5g | Protein: 0.6g | Fat: 2.2g | Saturated Fat: 1.4g | Sodium: 74mg | Potassium: 56mg | Fiber: 0.8g | Sugar: 0.9g