I am a great fan of cucumber. Cucumber has many healthy benefits. I use cucumber in my day to day cooking. Cucumber adds a great flavour to the dishes especially Thengai Araitha Kuzhambu, Mor Kuzhambu etc. Cucumber Stew (Vellarikaai Kootu) is a simple and delicious stew which goes well with any spicy kuzhambu varieties.
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Moong dal||1/4 cup|
|Turmeric Powder||A pinch|
|Coconut Gratings||2 tablespoons|
- Cook moong dhal in pressure cooker till soft. Chop the cucumber into medium bite size pieces and keep it aside. Soak the rice in water for 10 minutes. Add the cucumber pieces to a sauce pan along with 1/2 cup of water, turmeric and salt and cook them till the cucumber is soft and tender. Keep the cooked cucumber aside.
- Add grinding ingredients to the mixer along with rice and grind it to a nice paste
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds starts to sputter, add urid dal and curry leaves. Add cooked cucumber and stir-fry them till all the water evaporates.
- Now add cooked and mashed dal and stir well. Finally add the ground coconut paste
- Adjust the salt and bring it to boil and then remove from flame
- The delicious Cucumber Stew is now ready to serve with rice
(Visited 411 times, 1 visits today)