Dal Fry a rich flavour of dal with ghee. We always wonder what is the difference between Tadka dal and dal fry when we see both these receipes in restaraunt. But both these recipes have unique taste and flavour. The main difference is in DAL FRY, we use thoor dal/channa dal where the dal is boiled first. Then masala is prepared with onions, tomatoes and spieces in oil and then added to dal cook further.
For Dal tadka, dal is cooked along with onions, tomatoes and spices. Finally temering(tadka) is prepared and added to dal and seve immediately.
Dal fry is so delicious if you are generous in using ghee. Thur dal with masala and ghee a wonderful delight for chapatis/rotis
OK lets see the procedure to prepare dal fry now.
|Thur dal/Moong dal||1 Cup|
|Jeera (Cumin Seeds)||1 teaspoon|
|Grated Ginger||1 teaspoon|
|Grated Garlic||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Wash the dal thoroughly and then soak in water for 2 hours. Finely chop the onions and tomatoes and keep aside
- After 2 hours, wash the dal again and drain the water. Add 2 cups of fresh water. Along with this add turmeric, chopped green chillies, grated ginger and garlic. Add necessary salt and pressure cook the dal. Allow for 4 to 5 whistles to cook the dal nicely so that if we mix the dal with spatula/ladle, it should be smashed completely
- Now, the dal is cooked completely in cooker. Smash the dal nicely with a ladle/spatula and keep it ready
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, add ghee.
- When the ghee is hot(bubbles will come if ghee gets heated), add cumin seeds and allow it to sputter
- Add chopped onions and add a pinch of salt. Adding salt helps to fry the onions evenly, and also after cooking of dal, crunching of onions will have a wonderful taste. But be careful to add only a pinch as we have already added the required salt along with the dal
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and mix well
- Add little water and allow the tomatoes to cook competely
- Now add smashed dal and mix well. Add water if necessary and allow the dal to boil for 5 minutes in low flame. Switch off the flame. Heat another pan, add some ghee and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add whole red chilli and fry for 30 seconds. Add this to the cooked dal fry.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. The mouth-watering dal fry is ready to serve hot with rice/chapati
- We can use channa dal. Many North Indians like to use Masoor dal(dark brown lentils)
- If needed, we can add coriander powder and garam masala to the cooked onion-tomato mixture and allow to fry for 2 minutes.
- Extra tempering at the end is optional. It just adds an extra flavour while serving