Mango Ginger Pickle (Ma Inji Pickle)
Mango Ginger is neither related to a Mango nor a Ginger but to a turmeric (!?). Yes, check the wiki page for the same. When it crushed it gives the smell of a unripe mango. The flavour is more of ginger but it tastes more like a mango. It does not have that strong spice of a Ginger. I also read that its good for digestion and helpful in the treatment of Asthma and cough.
This seems to be a Mango Ginger season, as I found this in the vegetables shop here (in chennai) since the last few weeks. Very recently I published the recipe of Puli-Ma Inji, and here comes the next one using Mango Ginger. Mango Ginger pickle is very easy to make and can be made with in 15 mins and even without a fire (if you exclude the seasoning part). This pickle goes very well with curd rice.
|Mango Ginger||3 Finger size|
|Gingelly Oil||1 tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Curre Leaves (optional)||Few|
- Remove the skin of the mango ginger and clean it in the water. As its a root vegetable, pay more attention in cleaning.
- Finely chop the mango ginger and the green chilli and keep it aside.
- Add the Lemon Juice to the chopped Mango Ginger and mix it well.
- In the pan pour the gingelly oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begins to sputter add the Green chilli, curry leaves and hing and fry it for 30 seconds.
- Add this & required salt to the finely chopped mango ginger and mix well.
The yummy Mango Ginger Pickle is ready to serve with curd rice.
(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)