Siru Kizhangu is one of my favourite vegetable. We love the flavour and aroma of this root tuber. Siru kizhangu is a seasonal root which you will get only in the month of December and January. Cleaning the siru kizhangu is the most painful part of cooking siru kizhangu. I usally soak this in the water for some time (15-30 mins) and rub it on the hard surface to clean it . Then I would remove the skin, clean it again in the water and cut it into smaller pieces. Too much for this tuber.. :-). But, as this vegetable is seasonal and I cook this very occassionaly, i really dont mind the labours process. In malayalam this vegetable is called Koorkai and keralites used to make different recipes out of this vegetable. But, i used to cook Siru kizhangu fry only and the recipe is given below.
|Pepper Powder||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
Preparing Siru kizhangu for cooking :
As i mentioned in the introduction, its very much tiresome and labores job to clean the siru kizhangu. I follow the below steps.
- Soak the siru kizhangu in the water for 20 mins
- Take the siru kizhangu one by one and rub the same on the hard surface. If you have the ‘arisi chakku’ then you can rub the same on it. This will remove the sand and also help removing the skin.
- Remove the skin one by one with the knife and put them again in the water.
- Clean them in the water and cut it into small pieces.
- In a pan, add oil and when the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds
- When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add urdhal and fry it till it becomes golden color
- To this add finely chopped siru kizhangu, hing,turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Pour some water and cook the SiruKizhangu along with salt. Once the water is fully evoporated and the SiruKizhangu is half cooked, keep the flame in low and add 1 teaspoon of oil and allow it to fry for sometime.
- Add the pepper.
- Remove from flame once the SiruKizhangu is fried and cooked properly
- Now the yummy SiruKizhangu fry is ready to serve.
(Visited 306 times, 1 visits today)