Bedmi Puri | Urad Dal Poori Recipe
An Irresistible Dal based Puri!
Urad Dal Poori, also called Bedmi Puri is a very famous breakfast usually eaten in Delhi and some parts of Uttar Pradesh. Its often served with Potato Baji and Curd. In the conventional poori, we use only whole wheat flour, but here in Bedmi Puri, in addition to whole wheat flour, we are going to use urad dal also. This poori is also referred as bedmi Kachori, Urad Dal Kachori.
First we need to soak split urad dal for 5-6 hours and then grind it to paste and then add the paste to the wheat flour and along with spices and knead it to dough and then make poori with that dough. This is one method of making Bedmi Poori. Other way is to cook the ground urad dal paste and cook till it crumbles more like our paruppu usili. Then use that crumbled urad dal as a filling inside the poori and deep fry the pooris’. I have used the first method which is easy and it doesn’t go wrong. Also the taste is awesome.
Urad dal is rich in fibre, both soluble and insoluble, which is known improve our digestion. Rich in protein, fat and carbohydrates, urad dal is brimming with many health benefits. This simple lentil is full of iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium and potassium, which makes this dal a perfect health package for pregnant women. It is also extensively used in various culinary preparations such as dosa, papad and vada. Considering the benefits of Urad Dal, we should all try and use it often in our diet.
You can also try:
Bedmi Puri | Urad Dal Poori
- 1/2 Cup Split Urad Dal 1 Cup - 250ml
- 2 Cups Wheat Flour
- 2 Tablespoon Semolina (Sooji / Rava)
- 2 Green Chili
- 1" Piece Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Powder
- To taste Salt
- a Pinch Asafoetida (Asafetida / Hing)
- For Deep Frying Oil
- Wash & Soak split Urad Dal for 5-6 hours
- Drain water from Urad Dal and take it to mixer jar. Add green chili, ginger and grind it to a coarse paste
- In a mixing bowl, take wheat flour, sooji, urad dal paste, red chili, coriander powder, salt, hing, fennel powder and give a good mix
- Then sprinkle water little by little and knead it to a dough
- Now make gooseberry size balls out of the dough. Dust each dough ball with flour and roll it into slightly thick poori
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying pooris'. Gently drop each rolled poori inside the oil and deep fry the puri till its puffed and then flip and cook till the bubble ceases and then gently take it out of the oil and place it on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat the step and deep fry the rest of the pooris'
- Serve the delicious Bedmi Puri with Aloo Subzi and enjoy your breakfast
- Wash & Soak Urad dal for 5-6 hours
2. Drain water from soaked Urad dal and take it to mixer jar. Add Green Chili, Ginger and Grind it to coarse paste and set it aside
3. In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour along with ground Urad dal paste along sooji, with red chili powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, salt, hing and give a good mix
4. Then sprinkle water little by little and knead it to a dough.
5. Now make gooseberry size balls out of the dough. Take each dough ball, dust with flour and roll into small but slightly thick puri.
6. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, gently drop rolled puri and deep fry the puri till its puffed and then flip it to other side and cook till the bubble ceases and then gently take out the cooked puffed puri and place it in paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat this step and fry the rest of the puris.
7. Serve the yummy Bedmi Puri (Urad dal Poori) with Aloo Subzi and enjoy your breakfast!