Chakka pradhaman/Jackfruit payasam
Chakka pradhaman are usually made in my house during Vishu (Tamil New years day) for Neyvedhyam. It is a common kerala brahmin recipe. The main ingredients for chakka pradhaman are chakka varatti and jaggery. We usually make chakka varatti one or two days before vishu and use this chakka varatti for making chakka pradhaman during vishu. Making chakka varatti is not an easy job. It requires a lot of time and patience. The chakka varatti is made by cooking the finely chopped chula(the edible part of the jack fruit) with jaggery and ghee at a very high temperature in the uruli (bronze vessel) till it becomes paste (like halwa). You can also called chakka varatti as jackfruit halwa. The chakka varatti is very tasty sweet.
Chakka pradhaman is traditionally made using chakka varatti, jaggery and coconut milk. As making chakka varatti itself is very tiresome job many people drop the idea of making chakkai pradhaman. The recipe which is given below is made chakka pradhaman without the chakka varatti. I will give the recipe for making chakka pradhaman with chakka varatti some other time.
|Chakka chula||10 Pieces|
|Grated Cocunut||1 Cup|
|Moong dhal||3 tablespoon|
|Raw Rice||5 tablespoon|
|Grated Jaggery||3/4 Cup|
|Cardamom Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coconut bits||4 teaspoon|
- Finely chop the chakka chula(jackfruit) and keep it aside.
- Dry fry the moongdhal till it becomes red colour
- Mix the fried moong dhal, chopped chakka chula and rice and add required water and pressure cook it.
- Melt jaggery in water and remove scum. Add the cooked rice, chakka chula and dhal mixture with jaggery. Add little water.
- Let the jaggery boils well till its raw smell goes off.
- Grind the grated cocunut with 1/4 cup of water and squeeze the milk from it and keep it aside
- Again add 1/4 cup of water to cocunut and grind it and squeeze the milk from it and keep it aside
- When the rawsmell of jaggery goes away, add the last ground(2nd time) cocunut milk to the rice mixture and let it boil for a minute. When the mixture starts to bubble, add the first ground cocunut milk and cardamom powder and switch off the flame.
- Heat a pan, add little ghee and add coconut bits and fry till it turns golden brown color. Add the gried coconut bits to chakka pradhaman.
- Now the Delicious chakka pradhaman is ready for Neivedhyam/serving
(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today)