It is a crispy and spicy Indian snack which has an crisp outer layer made of maida and rich filling of mashed potato, peas and spices. Its our popular Street Food. Its a favorite snack generally served with Masala tea and green chutney and tamarind chutney.
|Preparation Time||1 hour 30 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
Ingredients for Samosa outer cover:
|Carom Seeds / Ajwain / Omam||1 Teaspoon|
Ingredients for Masala:
|Boiled Potato||3 big sized|
|Cumin Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garam Masala||1/2 teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Red Chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|Pepper Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped Corainder Leaves||1/4 Cup|
|Chopped Mint Leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Oil||1 Tablespoon + For Deep Frying|
|Green Chili||1, Finely Chopped|
|Chopped Ginger||1 teaspoon|
Method for Outer-cover Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, add maida, carom seeds, salt and mix well. Add Ghee and mix ghee with the maida thoroughly.
- Add water very little by little and knead it to a stiff dough. Stiff dough is very much necessary for samosa, that will help us make stuff the potato filling and close the samosa outer-cover without damaging
- Cover the dough and let it sit for an hour.
Method for Potato Filling:
- Boil, peel and mash the potatoes and keep it aside
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the dry powders and sauté in oil for a minute. Add chopped green chili and ginger and sauté them
- Then add the coriander leaves and the mint leaves to the pan. Along with this, add the boiled and peeled potatoes and give a good mix
- Add Green peas and salt and allow the masala to cook in low flame for couple of minutes and then switch off the flame. Our Potato Filling is ready!
Method for Making Samosa:
- After an hour, knead the dough again for a minute. Take a big lemon size dough and bring the edges together and make it like a ball
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough ball to a thin roti. Make sure the center and edges are thin. Using a knife, cut the rolled roti in half
- Take one half, on the long side of the half roti, apply some water. Then take one edge of the long side and twist and stick with the water applied side. Seal the edges. Now you will have a pocket of samosa
- Add 2 teaspoon of potato filling inside the pocket. After adding potato filling, apply water again on the open sides and seal the edges. Refer the video for making perfect standing samosa
- Repeat the steps and make other samosas till the dough and filling are empty
- Allow the samosas to dry out completely for about 20 mins. This is very much important step. Without the samosas getting dry before deep frying, this will prevent the bubbles when we are deep frying the samosas
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Gently drop 2-3 samosas in oil and deep fry till they are golden brown and crispy
- Repeat the steps for the rest of the samosas.
- The deep fried Samoas ready to serve!
(Visited 529 times, 1 visits today)