Khandvi, a mouth-watering, popular and traditional Gujarati snack. We can also keep this as a starter and delight our family and guests. Very simple and easy to concoct this yummy dish. Gram flour(Besan) and yogurt are the main ingredients and the seasoning ingredients adds to the taste of the dish mainly. Lets see how to make this yummy Khandvi.
While Serving, we can also insert a toothpick on each rolled Khandvi and serve!
|Preparation Time||5 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Besan Flour(Gramflour)||1/2 Cup*|
|Chopped Coriander Leaves||1 teaspoon|
|Grated Coconut||2 teaspoon|
* 1 cup capacity = 250 ml
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Cut an aluminium foil in a rectangular shape (preferably 30 cm x 45 cm) and keep it ready. We need this to spread the cooked Khandavi flour to get the final product. You can also use the granite floor, backside of a plate, etc.., I prefer to use aluminium foil.
- Take a bowl and add gram flour, yogurt, water, turmeric, hing and salt. Mix all of them well using a whisk.
- Heat a pan and add the khandvi batter and keep stirring in low flame. Keep stirring continuously and you can see the mixture starts to thicken and the steam started coming up.
- When the gram flour batter is cooked completely, it would become thick and you can test the consistency by adding a little mixture to a greased plate and spread it thin using a sptula and try to roll it after a minute. If you are able to roll, then your consistency is perfect. You can switch off the flame. If you are not able to roll, then keep continue with the stirring process as your right consistency is not reached. Switch off the flame and keep stirring for another 1 minute. Then put the thickened khandvi mixture in the aluminium foil which was kept ready
- Using a stainless steel flat spatula, spread it quickly to a thin layer in the foil. This is a tricky part. We should be quick enough to spread the cooked khandvi mixture. If we delay it, then we won’t be able to spread it. Once the khandvi mixture gets cooled off (with 5 minutes), cut it into broader vertical lines as shown in the picture.
- Remove the uneven sides to make sure we are getting equal size khandvis. Gently roll each rectangular pieces carefully. Repeat the same for remaining khandvi pieces.
- Sprinkle the grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves on top of the rolled khandvis. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add hing and slit green chillies and fry for 5 seconds and remove from flame. Sprinkle these seasoned ingredients on top of the rolled khandvis.
- The yummy Khandvi is now ready to serve!!!
Important notes and Tips:
- The tricky part is to get the right Khandvi mixture in the right consistency. If we don’t get the right consistency, then we will not be able to roll the Khandvi. As i mentioned, always try to take the sample and spread it in a flat plate and try to roll it after a minute. If you are not able to roll, then the mixture is not ready. Continue stirring it.
- Stirring is very important. The mixture will become thick very quickly and form lumps if we don’t stir continuously.
- You should be quick in spreading the mixture in the aluminium foil or any flat surface as soon you switch off the flame. If you delay it, then we will not be able to spread it into a thin layer.
- Try with very small batch first. Once you get a practice then you can try the larger batches.
(Visited 664 times, 1 visits today)