Tomato chutney is yet another chutney variety for Idly/Dosa. Unlike other chutneys, the tomato chutney is prepared little spicy and hot. I always prefer to make tomato chutney than other varieties as this combination is classic. Also this is no onion no garlic recipe. So perfect dish to make on Vrat (Fasting) days. Most of us use onion along with tomato to make a chutney, but here in this dish, its only tomato and to make it little tangy and yummy, we are going to boil the tomato paste with tamarind water and finally adding a tinge of fenugreek powder to enhance the flavor. Try this version of No Onion No Garlic Tomato Chutney and serve with hot Idli / Dosa!
|Preparation Time||5 mins|
|Cooking Time||10 mins|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Gingelly Oil||2 teaspoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Tamarind||1 small gooseberry size|
|Fenugreek seeds powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
- Finely chop the tomatoes and keep it aside. Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice and keep it aside
- Take a pan and keep in flame. Add 1 teaspoon of gingelly oil and add mustard seeds and hing. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add curry leaves and fry for 30 seconds and remove from flame and take it aside in a bowl
- Now keep the pan again in the flame and add remaining oil and add broken green and red chillies and fry for 20 seconds. To this add chopped tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and mix well. Keep in medium flame till the tomatoes are cooked completely
- Cool the tomatoes completely and grind it in a mixer to a nice paste
- Keep another pan in flame and add tamarind juice, turmeric and salt and let it boil for 5 minutes till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the ground tomato paste, red chilli powder and let it boil for another 5 minutes in tamarind extract. Finally add fenugreek powder and mix well and remove from flame. Add the seasoned mustard seeds and mix well.
- Serve the hot and spicy Tomato chutney with idly/dosa/bajji. Even this can be mixed with plain rice
(Visited 2,539 times, 1 visits today)