Recently when I was looking on a video in youtube, I happen to see Mrs.Revathy Shanmugam show in Jaya TV. She was explaining about an Andhra special dish called Drumstick Igru. The name of the dish itself attracted me and the method is also simple. Drumstick Igru is like a thokku(thick gravy). The main flavour in this yummy dish is poppy seeds. Lets see the method now…
|Preparation Time||5 mins|
|Cooking Time||40 mins|
|Gingelly Oil||3 tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red Chilli Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||1/4 Cup|
|Coriander Seeds||2 teaspoon|
|Cumin Seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Finely chop the onions and keep it ready
- Chop the drumstick into pieces, wash it and keep it aside
- Take the poppy seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a mixer. Grind it nicely by adding water to a nice paste. We can add 1/4 cup of water at a time and gradually add water. By doing this, we could see that we are getting more quantity of poppy seeds paste.
- Add the garlic flakes to the poppy seeds paste and give a pulse or two
- In a pan, pour oil, when the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and saute it. Add a pinch of salt to cook the onion evenly. Saute it for 5 minutes
- Add slit green chillies along with drumstick pieces and turmeric and keep the flame low and cook the drumstick by closing the cover of pan. The drumstick should be steam cooked only with the water content of the onions till soft. This will take atleast 20-30 minutes to cook all the drumstick pieces in low flame. We need to stir occasionally using a spatula else the drumstick pieces may tend to burn.
- Now add the ground paste to the pan. Add chilli powder and mix well
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and add salt and mix well and keep the flame medium to cook the tomatoes completely and also the raw smell of poppy seeds, coriander seeds should go off. So cover it and cook it for another 10 minutes. Now the Igru has become thick.
- Now keep the flame high for a minute and add little water and mix well and remove from flame
- The yummy Drumstick Igru is now ready to serve with hot rice. Goes well with dosa also.. We can also use potato, bottle gourd instead of drumstick
(Visited 1,396 times, 1 visits today)