Beetroot Thoran Recipe | Beetroot Poriyal Recipe
Beetroot poriyal, a healthy thoran / poriyal as an accompaniment for any rice varieties. Packed with essential nutrients, beetroots are a great source of fiber. Beetroots are delicious raw but more frequently cooked or pickled. Their leaves, known as beet greens — can also be eaten. We can cook beetroot in different ways. The color and their sweet taste usually being liked by many of us, especially kids.
We can make many awesome recipes with beetroot. I have already published Beetroot Rasam, Beetroot Thogayal, Beetroot Kurma, Beet Pulao, Red Velvet Cake using Beetroot, Beetroot Halwa, Apple Beetroot, carrot Juice .
Is there a difference between this Beetroot Thoran and our usual South Indian Poriyal Varieties?
Yes, there is a slight difference in spicing up the poriyal. For normal Tamilnadu Poriyal, we will first cook the vegetable, toss it in the tempering of mustard, red /green chili, split urad dal and finally garnish with freshly grated coconut. Here, in Thoran, we are going to grind coconut, green chili and cumin without adding water and add it to this thoran. The ground coconut-chili powder adds a very nice flavor to this thoran!
Recipe Card for Beetroot Thoran Recipe | Beetroot Poriyal Recipe
Beetroot Thuvaran | Beetroot Thoran
- Heavy Bottomed Pan
- Mixer Grinder
Servings: 4 people
Beetroot Thoran is a stir-fry, seasoned with coconut, curry leaves and mustard seeds. This simple stir-fy is a great accompaniment to Sambar / any Kuzhambu varities and also Roti.Print Recipe
- 250 grams Beetroot (or) 3-4 numbers
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Salt adjust to your taste
- 3 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1 nos Green Chili adjust to your taste
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oil preferably coconut oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split Urad Dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Wash the beetroots in water and then pat it dry, peel the skin and grate all the beetroots
- Take a pan, add oil and when the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add split urid dal and fry till it becomes golden brown color.
- Add curry leaves and add the grated beetroot. Keep the flame medium
- Add turmeric and salt and mix well and cover it with a lid. We dont need to add water as the grated beetroot would cook easily in steam. Open the lid occasionally, and mix it well.
- Meanwhile, grind the grinding ingredients (Grated Coconut, Cumin seeds and Green Chili) to a nice powder without water and keep it ready
- When the beetroot are cooked nicely, add the ground coconut powder, mix well and remove from flame.
- The mouth-watering Beetroot Thuvaran (Beetroot poriyal) is ready to serve with any rice dishes. Even we can mix plain rice with beetroot poriyal along with a teaspoon of ghee and the taste is divine.
- If you find it difficult to grate the beetroot, then you can also chop them to smaller pieces and use it.
- I found many people adding garlic along with coconut while grinding. If you are a fan of garlic, then you can add 1-2 garlic cloves and grind it with coconut
- You can also add a tsp of roasted gram dal along with coconut and grind it.
- Chopped Onion / shallots can also be added to the thoran. Sauté the onion before adding grated beetroot.
Beetroot Thuvaran | Beetroot Thoran
Amount Per Serving (1 cup)
Calories 137 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Subscribe to our YouTube ChannelSubscribe! to get Latest Subbuskitchen Video Recipes
Good PracticeAll the Images and videos are Copyright Protected. So please do not copy the content or images. If you want to use, please ask for it
Instructions with Step by Step Pictures:
- Wash the beetroots in water and then pat it dry peel the skin
- Grate beetroots using a grater. You can also use a food processer to grate the beetroot
- Take a pan, add oil and when the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add split urid dal and fry till it becomes golden brown color. Also add the curry leaves.
- Add the grated beetroot and keep the flame medium. Add turmeric and salt and mix well and cover it with a lid. We dont need to add water as the grated beetroot would cook easily in steam. Open the lid occasionally, and mix it well.
- Meanwhile, take the grinding ingredients (grated coconut, jeera & green chili) in a mixer jar
- Grind in to Powder. Do not add water while grinding.
- When the beetroot are cooked nicely, add the ground curry powder and mix well and remove from flame. Finally garnish with the coriander leaves
- The mouth-watering Beetroot Thuvaran (Beetroot poriyal) is ready to serve with any rice dishes. Even we can mix plain rice with beetroot thoran along with a teaspoon of ghee and the taste is divine.
|Beetroot Thuvaran Recipe | Beetroot Poriyal Recipe|
(Visited 3,349 times, 1 visits today)