Kashmiri Pulao is a a sweet and very mild variety of pulao enriched with lots of nuts, dry fruits and fresh fruits. Very simple to make, yet looks very appealing and tastes yummy.
|Preparation time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Basmati Rice||1 Cup *|
|Chopped Walnuts||2 tablespoon|
* 1 Cup Capacity = 250ml
|Butter / Ghee||1/4 Cup|
|Cinnamon Stick||1 inch piece|
|Fennel Seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
- Wash and Soak the basmati rice in water for 10-15 mins. Wash and dry the fresh red grapes and take all the nuts and keep it ready.
- Chop the grapes into 2 pieces and remove the Seed. Remove the pomegranate seeds and keep it ready. This we are going to use it for garnishing. Meanwhile, soak the saffron threads in milk and keep it aside. I have used more saffron threads and hence the dark yellow colour, but you could use 2-3 threads if you prefer to get a white or slightly saffron color
- Heat little ghee in a pan and add chopped onions and saute them till they turn golden brown color. Take this aside in a plate. Heat some more ghee and add the cashews, walnuts and raisins and saute them till the cashews turn golden brown color.
- Next we are going to add chopped grapes. We could even add chopped apples also. Saute the grapes for a minute and take all these in a plate. Heat more ghee in the pan and add the whole masalas listed in the seasonings table above and saute them for a minute
- Then add drained rice and sugar and saute it for 2 minutes. Now we are going add milk in which we have soaked the saffron thread and also water along with salt and mix well
- Keep the flame high and allow the rice to boil. When all the water is drained, keep the flame to very low and cover the pan with a lid and cook for another 15 minutes
- Now we have got nice and fluffy rice. Finally we need to garnish with sauted onions and nuts and give a good toss
- Serve the yummy Kashmiri Pulao by garnishing it with pomegranate seeds and fried onions
- You can also add fruits of your choice, like apple.
- You can adjust the quantity of the fruits and dry fruits depending on your liking to the sweetness in the rice.