Cucumber Raita Recipe | Cucumber Yogurt Dip
Raita is a wonderful yogurt dip that is usually served as an accompaniment for Pulao, Biryani, Parotta and many more main courses. Most of the Raita varieties are no cooking dip that can be made so quickly and easily and serves as a dairy accompaniment for the main courses. We can make different varieties of raita by enriching with vegetables, fruits or even with plain boondi. One such easy and popular raita is Cucumber Raita.
ALSO See : Onion Raita
Chopped Cucumber is added to beaten yogurt which is then enriched with roasted cumin powder, crushed mint, green chili, salt and coriander leaves. Adding mint enriches the flavor but its optional. I usually wash 10-15 mint leaves and wipe with a paper towel and then I will keep in microwave for 1 min. This will make the leaves crunchy and then we can crush the leaves to powder and add it to the raita. A North Indian friend of mine, taught me this and I follow adding crushed mint leaves to all raita. Sometimes, I even make simple mint raita and kids love to have it with Pulao. This Cucumber Raita tastes so good when served with Biryani, Pulao, or even with Roti/pulka.
Point to Remember when making Raita:
- Yogurt should be thick. We can even strain he yogurt in a muslin cloth and use it for making raita. Yogurt will become less thin in consistency after adding salt and other spices so we need thick yogurt for raita
- Cucumber and mint releases moisture when added to curd. So use a whisk or spoon to combine the raita instead of using a half blender
- We can add red chili powder and black pepper powder for spicer version
- Refrigerate Raita till you serve that will help the yogurt becoming sour and watery
You can try:
Recipe Card for Cucumber Raita:
Cucumber Raita | Cucumber Yogurt Dip
- 100 grams Cucumber (1 medium size cucumber)
- 1 cup Curd (Plain Yogurt) fresh (1 cup - 250 ml)
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Salt adjust to your taste
- ½ tsp Pepper Powder chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 tsp Mint Powder mint leaves are microwaved for a minute and then crushed to powder
- Wash and peel the cucumber. Chop them into small pieces. You can also grate the cucumber.
- In a bowl add the curd. Beat the curd till it's smooth
- Now add the cucumber pieces to the curd
- Add the green chili, salt, mint powder and roasted cumin powder and mix well
- Garnish with Coriander Leaves / Mint leaves and serve.
- You can add the dry mint powder to the raitha to increase the flavor and taste.
- Replace the green chili with 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- You can grate the Cucumber instead of chopping them.
Wash and peel the cucumber. Chop them into small pieces. You can also grate the cucumber.
In a bowl add the curd. Beat the curd till it’s smooth
Now add the cucumber pieces to the curd
Add the pepper powder, salt, mint powder and roasted cumin powder and mix well
Garnish with Coriander Leaves / Mint leaves and serve.